Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day 2012

I remember this day in 2008 like it was yesterday. 

It was the 2nd time I'd voted in a presidential election, and the first time I'd really cared about the outcome. 

I sat with my love and my best friends, and we counted down the states one by one.  It was exhilarating.  Change!  It seemed Bush made such a joke of the Republican party, that everyone was on the same team, the first time an election really felt relevant to my generation, and gave hope to the millions of mixed-race children being raised by my peers.  The end and beginning of an era. 

I remember shouts of celebration and people literally dancing in the streets!  We took our champagne out on the porch and hugged our neighbors, whom we'd never met before. 

This year is different.  I've felt a sense of dread and foreboding since the first debate.  I'm not the most politically educated or informed by any means, but I research.  I read.  I know what I believe in.  And I struggle with the issues that have been brought forward by this election, that are being vehemently discussed among my (usually under-educated) peers this time. 

Abortion.  Birth control.  Health insurance.  Same-sex marriage.  War.  People should be talking more about the environment than they are, but yes, this too. 

All things that affect everyone I know in some way.

I've known what my vote would be for awhile now.  I've had to do some soul-searching, especially on the abortion issue.  Numerous conflicting articles and blog posts and books, and none seemed to help me sum up my feelings and decision more than this, from - of all people - a mommyblogger.  Albeit a very special and successful one.  Just sayin.  Don't underestimate us womens.  Below, paraphrased from her article: why Obama will get my vote in this election:

"I am voting for Obama, because I have friends {and family} with pre-existing conditions and {they have affordable health care}.  Because he doesn't think climate change is a punchline.  Because he believes in women's rights and knows that the number one way to reduce abortions is to prevent unwanted pregnancies with affordable, available birth control.  Because he respects all religions.  Because he believes in equal rights for all. 

Because he doesn't want to write discrimination into the Constitution."

Lastly I am thankful that we have the freedom to vote, whether you think it matters or it doesn't.  It does.  GOBAMA!  Fingers crossed for our future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment