Thursday, October 25, 2012

Sometimes all it takes is $8

My friends consider me the expert when it comes to clothes, what's hot and what's not. 

Walking through Target a few months ago, my friend R asks me what I think about the colored-jeans trend.  I told her there were some colors that could be used as a neutral, like the mustard yellow or seafoam green.  I expounded upon the dangers of being too matchy-matchy and helped her pick a pair of salmon pink ones with a plaid shirt.  Ever the willing stylist.

But I ultimately thought to myself that colored jeans are a no-no for "big girls."  Like, why draw more attention to the big parts? 

And let me just say I cannot wait until I no longer have to worry about these things. 

Then.. then.  I was having a DAY on Sunday.  A day where, I needed to do something for me and only me.  A day where I needed to feel interesting and a bit new.  A day that only shopping can fix.  I spent the afternoon wandering the mall, my mood worsening with every item I tried on.  But then I came across a clearance rack in JC Penney (the big girl's savior - all my party dresses are from there, sadly having a bit too much booty for Charlotte Russe like my girlfriends wear) with electric blue skinny jeans.  So I thought, what the hell...

And I liked what I saw.  I saw the girl that, six years ago, wouldn't have given a single solitary fuck what anybody thought about what she was wearing.  And even better, they were all of eight freakin dollars. 

(By the way, it's extremely hard to take a full-body pic of yourself with no self-timer or full-length mirror.)

I paired them with a neon green (hey, go big or go home) tank, white sweater, and a neon scarf with white polka dots (not pictured).  Fuck it, I'm still that girl.  I'm whatever I want to be. 

And I thought to myself, These are just what I needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment